Monday, December 17, 2007

Synthetic life?

Hi all,

Here's a link to a Houston Chronicle article on "synthetic life":
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5383487.html

The science-faith debate is already going in the comment section...

I think this issue will have huge implications in the future on just about everything we do, both practically and philosophically/theologically. To be honest, I'm rather nervous about how this all will evolve (pun intended :b ). What do you all think?

In Christ,
Christine

1 comment:

GoodQuestion said...

Hi! I just found my "key" to get back in. Sorry I've been MIA for awhile...

Yes, this disturbed me too, because it further blurs the distinction between what makes humans like us important compared to machines or other manmade things. Yoicks. I'm more disturbed about the possibility of terrorists creating designer plagues, however.

I think that as this stuff becomes commonplace, it will lose its aura of awe. However, I am indeed concerned that people will blur us, real humans, together with manmade biological creations and start treating humans as merely a different class of them.

However, we probably have a longer wait for that than this article implies. "Synthetic life" discoveries have been overhyped for decades. "Test tube babies" weren't even conceived in a test tube, let alone gestated in one! Just hype. So, there's probably a long way to go before REAL synthetic life is made, which won't stop this from being called synthetic life even though it isn't.